Kitchen Cabinet Design and Layout Tips
1. The three most used elements of a kitchen are the sink, stove, and refrigerator. To minimize wasted motion, situate each to form a triangle with a perimeter less than 18 feet.
2. The oven and refrigerator should not be adjacent. The dishwasher should be located nearby the sink and if possible, position the sink under a window with a light above it.
3. The number of doors for each cabinet is based on the door width not exceeding its height. For cabinets between 2 to 4 feet wide, use 2 doors.
4. Use false drawer fronts where drawers not possible (e.g., under sink) for a consistent look.
5. Allow 18″ of counter space on either side of the range or microwave.
6. Allow 18″ of counter space on door-opening side of the refrigerator.
7. Allow 30″ of counterspace to right of sink, 24″ to left
8. Provide a corridor width or passing space of no less than 36″.
9. Maximum height of a shelf above a countertop is 42″ for an average sized adult. 36″ is optimal.
Standard Dimensions of Wall Cabinets
|Depth (25″ deep countertop)||12-1/4″|
|Depth (30″ deep countertop)||15″|
|Height with full soffit||30″|
|Height with no soffit||42″|
|Height of cabinet above countertop||18″|
|Height of cabinet above stove top||24″|
|Height of highest shelf||60″-68″|
|Width||to match base cabinet|
Standard Dimensions of Base Cabinets
|Countertop depth (1″ overlap)||25″|
|Height from floor to countertop||36″|
|Depth of drawer above cabinet doors||4″|
Standard Dimensions of Counters
|Counter length per person||21″|
|Depth (one-sided seating)||15″|
|Depth (two-sided seating)||30″ min|
|For the physically challenged:|
|Under counter access width||30″|
|Under counter access height||29-1/2″|
Standard Dimensions of Kitchen Appliances
The dimensions of most appliances used for residential purposes in the U.S. fall within the ranges given below. Although these dimensions are useful for planning purposes, obtain actual measurements before starting cabinet construction. In general, major appliances are designed to fit beneath a 24 inch wide countertop.
|Range, floor model||35-36″||19-40″||24-26″|
|Range, w/ upper oven||61-68″||30-40″||25-28″|
|Wall oven, single||23-25″||21-24″||21-23″|
|Wall oven, double||39-50″||21-24″||21-23″|
|Wall oven with broiler||38-40″||21-24″||21-23″|